Παρασκευή 9 Ιανουαρίου 2009

Locals social behavior : Matter left untouched

By Neha Mittal

As far as I have learnt about sustainable tourism it means tourism development giving due respect to environment, cultural resources and the host community but in my opinion the social behavior and responsibilities of local people also plays an important role in driving tourists and making tourism a sustainable industry for that particular place. Locals can make a place worth traveling, exploring and memorable forever.
“Sigri” in one such place which at first site touched my heart. Initial days of exploring this village added pages to my memory book as well. The small village with simple yet refreshing and impressive artistic architecture, pebbly streets and special food made me to categorize it as one of the best places I would love to visit again in my life. But one incident bashed this thought and my opinion forever. Now I don’t want to visit this beautiful small “Sigri” again in my life though I had time of life with my best friends there.
Incident took place one evening while some of us were having dinner and enjoying soccer match at “Australian Bar” at village square, the one and the only bar with internet connection in that little village. I was there as well. Suddenly a man in his early 50’s having dinner at the same restaurant with his friends called me, as a matter of respect and with warm feeling for the locals I went to his table and greeted him. He asked me to bring my chair as well and I did that. Just after few seconds he said that “he likes girls with dark hair and dark eyes and that’s what he liked in me as well and he is having big villa in this village”. He than asked me “if I can spend one night with him”. That was not only unbelievable but ridiculous and unacceptable for me. I got bit angry and I told him that “this not my culture” but giving no value to my words he asked me “if I am virgin or not”. Something that reverberates till now. I felt numb, as I never expected anyone to utter such words.
Since that incident happened I wanted to leave that place as soon as possible. Thus it is not only that tourist owes some responsibility towards the tourist destination and its local community. They do so as well in terms of preserving cultural heritage, following their religious ethics while staying among them, can contribute to the economy by buying local products but the locals social behavior do play a significant role in promoting sustainable tourism. All we remember after visiting new tourist destination is hospitality, cultural values and nature surrounding that place, locals contribute to them significantly. They add to the wide range of experiences one usually have at new place. They are the one who gives you direct impression of the place and tourists come across them almost every time.
Local people should realize that sincere and pleasant hospitality is all they can offer to coming tourists to make their visit memorable forever.